Thursday, July 28, 2016

Why I didn't vote for Hillary - a chauvenistic feminist's confession

*Note: this post is a day late and a dollar short and a combo of a post I started writing months ago and some thoughts I've had in light of this week's DNC.

You guys - WOMEN ARE CRAZY*

Humans in general are crazy.  Life is crazy.  Everyone I love and have ever loved is crazy**.  And so on, but I have concluded that even when Leaning In, even when running things like the bosses they are, even when winning at life, women are just cursed by being prone to behaving more crazily than men, and that's just unfortunate.

I have no idea how valid THIS ARTICLE is, but it's being presented here for all intents and purposes as EXHIBIT A.  And I'm using it to launch into my point.

Remember Hamlet slaying Ophelia and all women thereafter with a single line?  "Frailty, thy name is woman." I love a good conspiracy theory, so I'm gonna go ahead and hop on the Prince Tudor train, and say that line was inspired by "Shakespeare" believing his own mom to be whackadoo and helpless insomuch as she couldn't even own up to him being her son. 

And I'm not sure that helps or hurts or validates my argument here, but I work in a field that is predominantly women run and have seen the CRAZY come into play more times than I count.  And I was just informed by a friend that works in another field predominantly women run that she got smacked in the face with CRAZY this morning.

I'm talking irrational, unprofessional seeming, blind siding, the likes of which Michael Oher wouldn't have been able to protect someone from

And this friend of mine, called me in tears, because she had been hurt and confused by the outrageous antics of her female employers.

So to diminish her despair I turned ultimately to a "joke" I often tell: "this is why I didn't vote for Hillary."


*******okay that's where the initial post stopped, so picking up at present:

Make no bones about it, these days, I'm With Her.  This November, I will probably cry casting my vote for the first women with a real deal shot of setting up shop in the Oval Office.

Eight years ago, I had yet to start working remotely, so I was in a bubble of estrogen 40 - 60 hours per week and pretty sure that not liking having a woman boss meant I would not like having a woman be the boss of the country.

I was young, and I was inexperienced.  And in my defense, Obama had the zeitgeist in his corner.  How could I, as an aspirational millennial not look to his youth and optimism and think it was what we needed to bounce back from the banality of Bush being puppetted through his second term?

I wanted the sure thing.  Obama was the sure thing.  Hillary, what with all her hormones, didn't strike me as the sure thing, she struck me as a wild card.

The thing is: hormones shmormones.  Let's talk about putting in the time.  And being, as so many have acknowledged, over qualified for the job at this point.  Let's talk about a ceiling in need of crashing through and  let's talk about the type of people that crash through ceilings:

CRAZY PEOPLE.

I think I just brought this all back to home, no?  You'd have to be crazy to want to smash through a ceiling made of glass.  So bring on the crazy.  Bring on the first Gentleman.

This world is crazy, but I'd take Hills' crazy over TheDonald's any day.

Let's get to work, and let's see this lady's crazy love for these United States do its thing.

*Full disclosure, I am making sweeping generalizations here and exaggerating (to some extent) because it's helpful to do so when ranting "comically."

**Note: I like that crazy can be defined as both "mentally deranged, especially as manifested in a wild or aggressive way" and "extremely enthusiastic."  It's not necessarily a bad thing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment