Sunday, June 24, 2012

Goin to the chapel...

Usually I leave the mushy blogging to my mamadukes but I am all bursting with love right now having gone to my best friend from kindergarten's wedding last night where I got to see her start an incredibly happy "grown up" life with my 9th grade crush.

Most of Newton made it out to the best party of the year so far at the gorgeous Granite Links plus a handful of my best friend from kindergarten's and my college roommates.  Because yeah, that happened, and life imitated the art of all of those classic teen TV shows like Saved By the Bell, Boy Meets World and 90210 and we went to the same college AND lived together...


and I tell people this story and love it as much now as I did in the moment, but one time sophomore year on the Heights, my best friend from kindergarten and I were getting ready in the bathroom we shared on our side of our 8 man suite, putting mascara and blush on, blowdrying our hair and what not, and it occurred to me/us that what we were doing in REAL life was exactly what we had played years ago when we would pretend to be getting ready for date nights with our then non-existant boyfriends in our apartment we shared as 20somethings.

True to fact that night sophomore year we DID have boyfriends coming over to pick us up.  Of course, mine came and went, hers took the plunge and has been in it / is in it for the long haul since then.

But my gosh if they weren't both BEAMING last night.  Just so freaking happy.  And no less happy than they would have been if they'd gotten engaged and married 4 or 5 years ago when she was more than ready to run down that aisle with him.  It's a marathon not a sprint, and it's been entirely worth the wait. 

It's always always worth the wait.

Her sorellina made me cry with the toast she made at the reception... admitting to having to sneakily play with my best friend from kindergarten's barbies while we were at school when she and their bambina sorella were home and she made no bones about not wanting to have to wait long to be an auntie, you just knew there was so much love in the Quincy air and reverence for family and commitment and man, it was just the best. 

Bring on the next 4 in the next 4 months.  I can't get enough of these weddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment