Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Working Gal

My oldest dearest friend sent me this article from New York Magazine yesterday and I do believe I'd be remiss to not blast it out into the blogosphere for other 20something bloggers to stumble upon.


Posted on the ol' fb today how I can hardly believe it's been 5 years since I first interviewed with the bosslady and started working for the Agency. Could never have known as a freshly graduated 21 year old business world fledgling how lucky I was to be landing a job. And not just any job but a cool one...in an artistic industry...which would support my being able to live the dream in NYC.

And I won't pretend I didn't cry many a Monday at my desk in Lexington, MA that first full year I spent repping, and I won't pretend I don't still harbor some resentment for the fact that I give 40 - 60 hours per week to the fostering and development of other people's artistic careers, but I am grateful to feel that my efforts are appreciated and rewarded whenever I see the direct results of my labor on their behalf.

I've heard it said that success is a combination of preparation, timing & luck, so I won't take or give credit to anyone in particular for the way this has all worked out. But I will express my gratitude for the opportunity and the security afforded to me.

And I will say my prayers for other 20somethings in search of anything from a paycheck to a full blown career that they have patience and faith and the sense to see when an open door is worth walking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment