Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's a jungle out there

Maybe it's the season.

The city IS inundated with out of towners and locals alike spending billions by the second on holiday gifts.

I have a sneaking suspicion though, that this sort of insanity goes on daily between 7 and 10 and 5 and 8.

Rush Hour - right? Isn't that what that block of time spawning either end of the work day is called?

Picture me shuddering at the sound of that phrase like these guys at the name "Mufasa:"

People - WHAT am I going to do if I ever have to go back to commuting some day?!?! I fear I have been overlooking and undervaluing the number one perk of working from a home office, and I was rudely awakened to that fact last night when I got KNEED in the THIGH by some guy who was walking DOWN what was clearly an UP stairway at the Union Square subway station.

(I wish I could explain/understand the physics of how this happened - I simply have the bruise to prove it.)

In any case, I rarely find myself amidst the mayhem on either the road or the public transit routes between 7 and 10 or 5 and 8 because I'm either out the door for an audition by 5:30 or 6am or commuting from my bed to my bathroom to my kitchen and ultimately my desk in the hour approaching 9am. I schedule meetings with clients and potential stylists most commonly at either 11 or 2, I walk a block to my gym around 8 in the morning or evening and I don't go "out" before 9pm.

Last night I met some of my artists at Japonais to review proofs from the shoot I produced Monday night, so WHAM I found myself smack dab in the middle of the frenzy of folks leaving offices/going to pick up kids from daycare/running errands/heading to the gym after work/and whatnot.

So this morning, I am saying a special prayer for everyone I know who does commute's safety on the roads and subway stairwells alike. And I am letting everyone know how blessed they already are to be spared my own personal/potential road rage. Thank you telecommuting for coming into existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment