Wednesday, August 17, 2016

This scene...

It's classic for so many lines in it... "it's not gonna be easy, it's gonna be really hard," and "well, that's what we do, we fight... You tell me when I am being an arrogant son of a bitch and I tell you when you are a pain in the ass..."


But the one I think of on average once or twice a week (I wish I were joking) is "what do you want?  What do YOU want? WHAT - DO - YOU - WANT?"

The idea of asking for what you want is so simple.  The practice even, is so simple.  My middle/baby brother, the head of his own household and father of this unbelievable source of limitless joy, told me yesterday he's taking his career in to his own hands.... "All you have to do is ask for what you want," he said.

And I know he's right.  I've done that professionally.

I do that at restaurants.

I know what I want when I go to the hair salon.

I know what I want for breakfast on a morning after I've had too much wine the night before (bacon).

But to be able to ask for what you want, you need to first KNOW what you want.

And I'd be lying if I said there weren't corners of my life where I still don't know what I want.

So lest my sweeping generalizations fool folks, have no fear, my Goldilocks Complex is alive and well...

No comments:

Post a Comment