Sunday, May 22, 2016

City living

Yesterday at my bambina sorella's college graduation dinner, my grandmother asked me if I miss Los Angeles or Manhattan.  I had an answer for her immediately because one of my ACK Roomies asked me the very same question very recently.

I miss living amidst a myriad of delusional dreamers in LaLa Land.  There's nothing more comforting than knowing your neighbors are as confident their big break is only an audition, a meeting, a networking night, a new connection, a chance encounter or recognition a long time coming away as you are yours is.

And I miss the palpable energy of the big apple.  Although, now that I live in a borough of it (essentially, in my opinion anyway), I feel lucky to be able to dip in and out of it on a whim/whenever I need new highlights, a therapy appointment, or to just recharge my batteries with a long walk up Broadway from Times Square to the Upper Upper West Side.

But here, I have access to pure joy, something I hadn't found a source of in either of the major metropolises I called home in the past seven years.  And there is literally nothing NYC or LA could have offered me that compares.


This little dude took 5 whole steps to me three days ago and I think I can honestly say I was more excited by that accomplishment than I've been about any of my own accomplishments in the past ten years.  

It's not fair of course, that nature's done this to me.  But who am I to challenge the she-beast that is biology?  

I also got a great response from a literary agent last week and happened to be at my parents' house when the email came.  My mother saw me do the little victory dance I do whenever someone requests chapters or my full manuscript for their perusal upon having received and read my query.  

So I'm very much still in it for the long haul.  And very sure the cities will harken to me whenever they have happy opportunities for me to be in them for.  I just don't miss them.  Because in the mean time, joy trumps glamour, fanfare, hustle bustle, excitement, temptation, indulgence and grit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment