Sunday, May 16, 2010

The blurry line between sister and friend

My college roomie, Fiefel, graduated from NYU Medical School last Wednesday - the perfect depiction of a dream come true. Could there be anything more inspiring? When they called her up to the stage with her new formal title, "Dr." on Thursday, when her father toasted to the good fortune of her future patients at her party Saturday, and when her boyfriend stood beside her beaming for the billions of pictures our friends and family snapped of her throughout the course of the weekend, my heart was full of immense pride like I could never have imagined feeling for anyone who isn't blood related, but without a doubt there's a point where the line between sister and friend blurs. I feel fortunate to consider my given family people I'd choose to love even if they weren't the folks I was born related to, but I also love the way friends become the family we've extended along the way. Makes even more moments in life all the more worthwhile and meaningful. And, a wise girl once used as her yearbook blurb quote, "life is not a matter of milestones but of moments."

And that wise girl was yours truly, and that quote is one I found on a calendar. And let's be honest, I find most of my fave quotes in -- RANDOM SIDENOTE: sitting in a Starbucks on 9th Avenue, between 42nd and 43rd (the same Sbux, my Ack Roomie and I called our office one afternoon this January after he so nobly traveled to the city to watch me tap dance more terribly than I have ever tap danced in my life in my fabulously moderate success of a 2-women show) and I just looked up to see a boy I know from summer theatre in years past walk by, BIG city, small town this NYC -- Anyway, I find most of my fave quotes in inspirational journals, my Academic Weekly planner which offers up a quote a week, and on Mary Engelbreit calendars and cards, because I'm original like that. But the point of this post: is that I saw my would-be sister / without a doubt best friend make her dream a reality. It took her 8 fully focused years, and it was a goal she'd had at least 10 more, and she did it. And you can too :) We all can. Just gotta work our butts off and believe in ourselves. So go ahead. I dare ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment