Thursday, February 2, 2012

I say "ciao for now"

fairly often, generally genuinely, and to just about anyone I'm ending a conversation with but likely to chat with again before long.

I think this is working against me when it comes to my finding my funny.

I'm in musical improv right now at a rival improvisational school of my beloved House of Amy Poehler aka UCB, and I get the impression I am significantly less negative than several of my comedy classmates particularly in said musical class but perhaps across the board at these comedy schools.  

I don't want to be too sunshiney but at the same time, I'm not really one to gripe, hold a grudge or dwell, and according to The Comedy Bible, jokes come from musing on what's weird, stupid, hard or scary about anything and everything under the sun that is experienced and thus relatable, so it's a strange challenge to feel compelled to find things to whine about.

Actually as I just typed that I realized that if you play the weird, stupid or scary angles you don't necessarily have to whine while doing so.

And so maybe - huzzah!!  I can find my funny afterall, even IF I use cheesy sayings on the regular.  Like "ciao for now" and "okie doke" and "gotcha!" (always with an exclamation point).

Tonight I played the weird card when asked to make up a song on the spot about Bubbles.  I went full throttle into a country tune inviting a fella over for a bubble bath and it was a hit.

One step or trot at a time as the case may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment