Saturday, June 9, 2012

Partyfail

I've made and botched my fourth foray into online dating.

Count it.

The problem is I'm agreeable, a conversationalist, patient and a romantic at heart.

Oh, and that I'm going to 6 weddings in the next 6 month.  3 of them being my best friends' (my best elementary school, high school and college best friends'), so I've got this gloriously heightened view of the importance of committed relationships in the lives of late 20somethings.

So for a hot second I entertained the idea of taking a boyfriend this Summer when a spark match struck up conversation with me and started to do his best to woo me.

I'm just not that into him though and just not that into dating someone just so I can say I'm dating someone.  Even if he is super sweet, successful, worldly and taken with me. 

So as I do my best to strip my texts of their coy nature and send this boy a clear message concerning my disinterest (he, who has made a habit of texting me before 9 on weekdays and before 10 on weekends, and who queried "how can I court you if I can't see you?" in response to my insane-as-usual schedule), I'm catching up on Game of Thrones, which is way more fun that making get-to-know-you conversation while folding socks and packing a suitcase (that was the winner 3rd date we "went" on) and re-defining "romanticism."

I like to fall in love with guys I'm friends with first.  I have no business swimming in the online dating pool.  That's a school of gourami and worse hypostomus punctatuss fish.


In the words of the wise song I sang in George M back in the day, "I wanna be wooed first, put me in the mood first, I need that old moon above.  She's taken my glove.  My hand someone's kissing, my parasol's missing.  Take back your 20th century love."

(I mean you sort of have to see the song in action to fully understand the significance of the glove and parasol bits, which are probably only in there anyway to fit the rhyme scheme, but the moral of the story is, what's with the rush??  The best is yet to come and always worth the wait).

1 comment:

  1. The whole point of on-line dating is that its a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Its a way of meeting people and seeing if you are compatable, so if the date doesn't work out or your just not into a particular match, its no big deal. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so cast your line, and go fishing again, one of these times, the right "catch/match" will get caught on your hook, and your right, the best is yet to come, and fishing is all about standing by the water with your line cast, and just Waiting......you are great bait, so be patient and wait.

    ReplyDelete