Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Let's Talk About Trees For a Sec

My little cousin is visiting this week from Washington state.  We took her for lunch by the BC campus yesterday and she got such a kick out of the way people dress "on the east coast" / "in Boston" as she referred to it.  Way less hippy, way more preppy...  She's visiting her sister in DC for the weekend and going to a political event with her.  She's worried she doesn't have anything to wear, but I assured her after 5 years in our nation's capital, I'm sure her sis has prep and or conservative garb to spare.

I thought if we'd brought her to Cambridge she may see more of the aesthetic she's accustomed to, but I knew exactly the difference she meant between the way people dressed generally on one side of the country vs the other.

One of the main reasons I elected to go to BC was that on my tour there I noted there were countless kids going to class in University gear.  Hoodies, t-shirts, sweatpants...these kids wore their pride all across campus and not just when it was football season or spirit week.

One of the main reasons I told my dad I had no desire to attend UNH - despite having found its library utterly breathtaking - was that there were simply too many trees on the campus.

I've had time to ruminate on my aversion to forestry over the years, and I would like to say I've come to appreciate woodedness with age, but beyond the marveling I did at the tree tops I soared above while skydiving the other weekend, I've remained pretty impartial to everything from ferns to oaks and even apple trees.

I love them cause they give us life, but I simply don't need them near by.

I'll still take a jungle of pavement any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment