Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Peacing Out

Not from the Blogosphere - fear not.

But this is on the subject of.  Inspired by this article: 'Don't Say Goodbye' by, Seth Stevenson about Ghosting aka the Irish Goodbye.

A guy I trysted with ever so briefly last Summer introduced me to the term, concept and practice of this sort of departure from a scene, when he texted to apologize one Sunday morning for pulling an Irish Exit from the bar the night before.  (Stay classy, Boston.  Have I mentioned I'm smitten with a Southerner at the moment?  Pretty sure once you go gentleman, you never go back, but more on that another time).

Anyway, I gotta say, while I was unimpressed by the antic last Summer, I'm pretty partial to the way it's portrayed in this article.  Amen to hello's being so much more fun than goodbyes in general, and so long as you're upfront about your intention to go AWOL (ala the Northern Irish Goodbye described in the article), why not skip the silly skulk up to and away from the host?

Just mosey on.  Think to yourself:



but hit the road, Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment