Friday, December 6, 2013

Julie the Cat

Last night as I was falling asleep my brain was working SO hard to remember who Pacey (from Dawson's Creek) was in the world of the Mighty Ducks.  I was oddly in denial that he was Emilio Esteves' surrogate son, Charlie.

And I only had the Ducks on my mind due to a funny and brief discussion that came up a few nights ago in Newton when I was engaged in conversation with my bambina sorella, rock banding brother, and Tao spouting Papa.

The subject of street hockey came up.  How you couldn't play it with a real hockey puck if you tried.  The baby sister said you need a ball right?  And my brother and I said, well yeah, OR one of those orange pucks with the silver balls in them:
"Have you ever even played street hockey," I asked the little one.

"Have you?" she retorted.

And how amazing is it that I could respond, "have I???  There was a time when you could call me 'Julie the Cat.'"

And my brother - who you know, sometimes is my best friend and sometimes is my mortal enemy and vice versa, answered the look she shot him questioning this declaration, "it's true."

Something I am so grateful for is the glory that was growing up on Tolman St with neighbors next door who were the same age as me and my two brothers.  We were like the kids on Hey Arnold playing stick ball.  We were X-men, and Magic & Marie who lived on a houseboat, we were a rock band, we were soldiers in water wars, and we were Mighty Ducks, like good old Julie the Cat:




No comments:

Post a Comment